Recipe of the Month
HOMEMADE CHICKEN & MUSHROOM PIES
3-4 chicken fillets cut into small chunks
60 ml of sunflower oil
3x cloves of fresh garlic finely chopped
1tsp of mixed herbs
1x onion finely diced
200g mushrooms chopped into smallish pieces
1x leek finely sliced
250ml fresh milk
125ml fresh cream
10ml of maizena or corn flour
Salt & pepper
Pack of Puff Pastry
Foil pie holders (can be bought at Foodpak)
- Heat the oil in a pot and brown the chicken fillets on a high heat.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the onions, leeks and garlic. Fry until the onions and leeks are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mixed herbs and milk and allow to simmer over a gentle heat for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the maizena with a little cold water to make a paste, then add the cream and maizena paste. The chicken and mushroom mix should thicken quite a bit. Allow to cook gently for 1-2 minutes.
- The sauce must be thick otherwise your pastry will become soggy. It is also important that you allow the mixture to cool completely.
- To assemble your pies, roll out the puff pastry just a little – don’t roll it out too thin (you will get 4 pies out of 1 pack). Don’t forget to sprinkle your work surface and rolling pin with flour
- Place the foil pie holder upside down on the pastry and using a sharp knife cut a 1cm border around the holder. Place the pastry circle inside the foil holder and press down slightly. Make a 2nd circle for the pie top.
- Fill the inside of the pie with the cooled chicken & mushroom filling. Brush the lid around the edges with a little water and place on top of the mixture. Using a fork press down on the edge of the pie to seal the top and bottom.
- If you like you can make little shapes on top of the pie but be careful that you don’t go overboard or your pie will sink. Don’t forget to brush with a beaten egg before placing in a pre- heated oven (200C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Soup for Sale:
Cookalooks is selling delicious home-made soups in 'doy' packs ideal for storing in your fridge for a day or 2 and perfect for freezing....it's as simple as re-heating from frozen....the perfect accompaniment to any winter meal...so stock your freezer...winter is on it's way.
Thick vegetable soup
Potato & Chorizo
Chicken noodle soup
Slow roasted tomato soups
R24 for 600g (serves 2)
Coffeebean Tea-light Candles
1. Place coffeebeans into a small bowl
2. Place a tea-light candle inside the bowl so that the coffeebeans surround the candle
3. Light the candle. When the coffeebeans get warm they impart a wonderful smell.